Yesterday was orientation. Chavu y su amiga nos llevaron a Margarita y yo a la escuela para nuestro orientation. It was the first time we were going to the school. It’s pretty close to where we live and super easy accessible via taxi. The school blends right in with the rest of the surrounding buildings. Chavu nos dijo que la escuela iba a estar muy cerca and we ran right into it. The first person we met was Cristian. Margaret did a lot of talking in Spanish, and I was kind of not talking so much. I think the most of it was because I had this headache that was pretty much ridiculous. I thought my head was quite literally going to explode in the morning. No joke I had 5 ibuprofens within the span of like 2 hours or something. Totally druggie status. But I don’t know how else I would have gotten through the day without these drugs. Creame. So I thought I was going to get outshined by Margaret with her bold personality and good Spanish speaking skills, but today I was so much better (head-wise) and last night was good too. And I think people are kind of finding out that I can speak Spanish a little bit. Haha.
After orientation Margaret, Dawn, TJ, and I all went to get cell phones. Yeah, we got the cheapest one (59 soles) and each put 10 soles worth of minutes on it. It’s blue. And very little. And very simple. Let’s just say it’s not my droid. L But it’s okay. My phone number is 974732080. There are so many numbers (but there really aren’t because there are the same amount in this number as in a US number). Lol. It just seems like a lot, but I’m not entirely sure why. Getting our phones took a little bit longer than we had anticipated, and we ended up being late for the Spanish placement test (that was supposed to last from 3-5).
The paper test wasn’t so bad I didn’t think so, but some people thought it was one of the most challenging things basically in the entire world. The only thing was that there was some tense that I wasn’t so sure about. Something about “ese” as in hubiese or something. No clue. I went in for my oral test though, and really I wasn’t even worried at all. The professor asked me what languages I spoke, and I responded that I spoke a little bit of English and Spanish. She looked confused and corrected me (as I knew she would). Dijo, “Un poco de ingles? Tu quieres decir un poco de espanol y ingles, no?” Dije, “No, es lo que queria decir. Solo era una broma.” Le hice reir. It was cool though. I really liked that professor. Her name was Rebekah (I forget how it’s spelled, but I know it’s something with a “k” in there).
Last night we went out. Omg. So much fun. Iba a tomar, but I really didn’t want to since I was still feeling effects from the altitude with my head. And I really thought que iba a regresar tempranisimo porque tenia sueno, but I stayed out. We went to La Plaza de Armas first to a place called Muse. It was cool, but too tranquil for our tastes. We wanted to dance and move around a little more. Nos fuimos de alli en busca de otro lado. Encontramos tres lados muy cercas sobre una esquina. Uno se llamaba Mythology and the other one was called Inka something (I forget right now). There was another one that I didn’t even go into but seemed cool too (Lek?). But yeah, we were dancing in Mythology and I went outside to talk to some locals. I met a guy named Hector y muchos otros tambien. Edgar y su amigo (el tiene un nombre q ni podia pronunciar ni escuchar bien). Tal vez vamos a un baile cusqueno una noche con ellos (Margaret and I). Hector was cool though.
I was out until about 1:50 in the morning. Chavu me llamo and was like, “No puedo dormer porque estoy preocupada por ti.” Dije, “Nos vamos muy pronto a la casa.” So I waited a little bit for Margaret. She smoked her cigarette; we talked with the boys (Edgar and friend), and found a taxi. The taxi didn’t know where we wanted to go, and we were quite literally driving around looking for something that looked familiar. When I called Dawn. At 1:30 in the morning. She was sleeping. But she saved the day with the big TV screen. And then we get to the house, and Margaret (or me for that matter) couldn’t figure out how to use her key in the outside iron gate that is meant to keep out terrorists. She had to call her host mom. She was drunk. I came home after that, and Chavu was still awake. I told her the taxi thing and I was waiting for Margaret and that her key didn’t work and stuff and I went to bed.
Today we went to visit the projects that we’ll be able to work on in terms of volunteering. I want to work in El Hogar de Las Estrellas. But I think everyone will want to work there, so I think I might not end up there. We’ll see. If I got to work in the little hotel, that’d be cool too. There’s a girl around our age I guess whose name is Edith, and she’s deaf. I really want to sign with her. There’s also a cook at El Hogar de Las Estrellas who is deaf as well, but Edith just seemed so cool. I want to ask Miu if she can help me find a place where I could try to teach English to people because that’s something I REALLY SUPER want to do. Miu, Gonzalo, Cristian, and that other lady (she’s like the head hancho of everything) are really cool people. They care about us and how we are doing. I like that. The other projects we saw were in a clinic working with children or in a place working with endangered animals. Kids, yes. Big institution, no. Animals, definite no. Although the animals were cool. I can’t lie about that.
When we came back, we got to see La Casa Don Ignacio or whatever it’s called which is where the students who don’t have host families live. It’s nice there, but I definitely prefer my little house with Chavu. Although internet access would be nice, not gonna lie. After Don Ignacio, Dawn, TJ, and I made our way to La Plaza de Armas which was a little adventure.
And we bought stuff. I got like a scarf/shawl thing. Very Peruvian. And three bracelets. And a key chain for my house keys. It was cool. I like hanging out with Dawn and TJ. Both are awesome girls, and Dawn reminds me so much of me and Kaela that it’s uncanny.
Ok. I wanted to get that stuff in, but I’m super tired now and didn’t realize it was 11:42pm. Wait. It’s totally not that time. That’s just the time that my computer thinks it is. OMG. That means that it’s really only 10:42pm. Which means that it’s even earlier and I still feel like its about 3:00am.
Word. I’m out.


No comments:
Post a Comment